Yes, the summer holiday is here and Stilbaai welcomes the holidaymakers and visitors.
With so much to do at the river, on the beach and at sea, we would just like everyone to be safe.
Keep the telephone number of the NSRI handy – the 24-hour number is 082 990 5978. Now, enjoy the kite-surfing (more information about kite-surfing lessons); find the best surfing spots; enjoy the Stand-Up Paddling, canoeing, kayaking (kayak rentals and adventures); pop in at the Surf Shack (between SPAR and OK Grocer) and wear sunscreen!
Find out about events and happenings HERE and download the Stilbaai App to get to the Tides and Weather charts quick and easy.
At last! It is December and that means – it is holiday time for many.
It has been quite a tough year from Stilbaai and the area as fires reeked havoc again and many farm lands and fields were lost while the area did not receive the amount of rain it needs. This means that it is currently very dry and the Hessequa Municipality put water restrictions in place.
To top it all, Eskom has started with a load shedding program and this not only influence all the households, but also the businesses, big and small.
Please also adhere to the rules for fireworks. Residents and visitors will still remember what happened on the first day of the 2018 and by just looking at the area across from the municipal offices, will serve as a reminder…
We have put together some handy information regarding all these issues. Both the website and Facebook page of the Hessequa Municipality are quite up to date and helpful – visit it to find more information.
Please adhere to these water restrictions from 10 Dec. to 10 Jan. for the whole of the Hessequa region.
Find the Eskom Load Shedding schedule for December HERE. This information is also available on the Stilbaai App (download it for free on your mobile device) and information will be shared on Facebook.
If you would want information about power outages in Stilbaai, send a WhatsApp to (072) 444-7325 to be added to this WhatsApp group.
Herewith information regarding fireworks.
- NO fireworks allowed at Jongensfontein
- Fireworks ONLY allowed from 23:00 on 31 Dec. until 01:00 on 1 Jan.
- Fireworks will only be allowed at the harbour and the beach area as well as at Lappiesbaai beach from the restaurant towards the river mouth. PLEASE adhere to these regulations.
- NO Chinese lanterns!
Find all the important telephone numbers as well as emergency numbers HERE
(listed under Businesses – Emergency Numbers). These numbers are quick and easy to dial through the Stilbaai App on your mobile phone.
Enjoy the festive season!
The Stilbaai APP– information about Stilbaai in the palm of your hand!
This handy and easy to use App (APPlication) supplies users with information about Stilbaai.
Download the Stilbaai App (for free) from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store on your mobile device for services like:
📲 Quick dialing to Emergency Numbers
📲 Info, contact detail, directions etc. to businesses, accommodation, restaurants and eateries
📲 Updated Events Calendar
📲 The weather, tides and even buying electricity easily
📲 Fishing spots and more
Contact us to list your business (Tel: 082 458 8517 / E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Stilbaai APP – information at your fingertips!
As November is nearing its end and holiday goers count the days to their well-deserved break in Stilbaai during December, we share this photo by @eurekascreation who visited Stibaai and post this nice photo.
There are many activities, events and happenings planned for the holidays and we update our calendar daily.
Have a look at the latest holiday calendar HERE to stay up to date with what’s happening.
Download the Stilbaai App to have this information and more ready and available in the palm of your hand!
Skulpiesbaai, Stilbaai – this area falls in the Skulpiesbaai Nature Reserve and is known for the amount of shells found on the beach. (Photo: Este Smit)
What you can do at Skulpiesbaai:
- Enjoy the beach – and all the shells!
- Do the various hiking trails in the Skulpiesbaai Nature Reserve
- Surf at Dolphin Point
- Visit the ancient fish traps (visible with low-tide)
- Pick up litter that washes ashore or are left by careless beach users…
What you can NOT do at Skulpiesbaai:
- No fishing
- No fishing between the red and white poles towards Morris Point on the left and past the fish traps on the right
- Reason: it is a nature reserve and a Marine Protected Area (MPA)
- Stilbaai was declared a marine protected area in 2008. It connects to the land-based Geelkrans Nature Reserve, which ensures that the coastal zone is well protected. The area, managed by CapeNature, is protected to rebuild overexploited marine life, particularly reef/line fish. It also prevents habitat degradation and preserves vis-vwyers (fish traps), which are archaeologically and culturally important. Fishing is still allowed in controlled areas, but it is banned in Geelkrans, Skulpiesbaai and Goukou estuary. Goukou was the first estuary to be included in marine protected area in the Western Cape. (www.capenature.co.za)
Enjoy your visit to Skulpiesbaai, Stilbaai!
Wednesday, 7 November – Stilbaai is still very much a little fishing village with boats and charters departing from the harbour on a daily basis to provide for families.
It is, however, not every day that you get that ‘big one’, like Hennie Esterhuizen who brought this 33kg cod from the boat, Dorado, in. Like they say: “Die kabeljou loop!”
Hilda Rudd captured the moment.
Hennie Esterhuizen with his 33kg cod. (Photo: Hilda Rudd)